Sunday, June 15, 2008

Grandma update 7

Sunday evening, June 15, 2008.
This past Wednesday (June 11th), Marie was transferred from Rex Hospital to the Rex Rehabilitation unit (which is on the grounds of Rex Hospital.) The purpose of her being there is to help her physically, with exercises, weight-lifts, etc., so that she will be physically fit to return home.
She has three different Rehab sessions every day – two in the morning, one in the afternoon. Her Rehab teachers lead her through the exercises, help her walk down the halls (with her walker), practice such things as going up and down steps, using a cane, and be better able to transfer from the bed to the walker or wheel-chair, and vice-versa. The more she recovers her physical strength, the sooner she will be able to return home.
Our best guess as I write this is that Marie will likely be released from Rehab to come home on Thursday, June 20th. Interestingly, that is exactly one month to the date from the day of her left hip replacement surgery, which started Marie’s recent physical problems.
Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive in so many ways. Thanks to those who have contacted Marie or sent her cards or emails to billhoho1@aol.com. For the present, emails are still the best way to contact her. If you will send emails, I will print them at home and read them to her the very next time I go to the Rehab facility. I will try to respond to phone-calls, but I still have a very difficult time hearing messages that have been recorded on our voice-recorder. I expect that, by the time she returns home, she will be delighted to receive your telephone calls at our home number, which is 919-676-1756.

No comments: